Filing as Sole Proprieter for my main business but have small general partnership business on the side

I am currently a self-employed computer technician. I file my taxes as
a sole proprietor using Turbotax Home and Business and have been for
the last few years. I like it and its easy.
In 2008 I also got involved in a small vending business with a friend
placing small candy machines at locations. We registered the business
as a general partnership. We have not really gotten it off the ground
yet and only grossed about $1000 last year and after expenses we will
likely be negative. Wanted to know the best way to file our taxes for
that business. I considered using Turbotax Business which is for Corps
and Partnerships. Is that good way to do it or would I be better off
using an accountant for the partnership business. Is there anything
special I should be aware of in respect to taxes and a general
partnership or is it pretty straightforward?
Thanks in advance,
Reply to
in article, on 3/16/09 11:37 PM:
The business would file a 1065 partnership return to report the income and expenses and the partnership would issue K-1s to each of the partners for entry on their personal returns. The partnership would not pay tax.
I have not used TurboTax Business in several years but as I recall, it can do Form 1065 quite well. The catch is that it is over $100. If I do it in ProSeries as pay for return, the software fee is $30 and $3 for E-file. I only do a few of these so I don't license the software. Uncompensated advice guaranteed correct or double your money back
Frank S. Duke, Jr. CPA Cincinnati, OH USA
Reply to
Frank S. Duke, Jr.

Site Timeline Threads

BeanSmart website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.