Sale of Residential Real Property

I am selling my 25% TIC interest in an apartment building that I acquired in
1993. I do not live in the building. The selling price exceeds the basis (and
the original purchase price).
Do I understand that I am required to allocate a part of the sale price to
personal property that I have been depreciating (carpets, refrigerator, stove)?
If so, any suggestions as to how one determines the current value of a roomful
of 3 year old carpet (and 2 year old carpet and 4 year old carpet) , as well as
used appliances of various ages. I am talking small amounts here - my share of
the cost of a refrigerator is $100, my share of the carpet in some of the units
is $400. Looking for practical, rather than theoretical, advice.
Is the personal property what is termed Section 1245 property?
Thanks for your help.
Robert Leavitt
Reply to
In article ,
Yes, the carpet and appliances are Section 1245.
One common method for allocating sales price to Sec 1245 property is to say its the same as its curently depreciated value.
That has the handy dandy effect of generating zero gain or loss on 1245 property.
Reply to
Arthur Kamlet
Unfortunately the buyer would prefer a higher value, since it would allow him to depreciate it faster than if that money were allocated to the real estate.
Reply to
Stuart Bronstein

Site Timeline Threads

BeanSmart website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.