501(c)(5) IRS question

The employees where I work started an employee association in January 2007. From everything I've read, we fall into the 501(c)(5) labor organization category and have to file an information return in May.
According to the IRS website, we can request a determination letter from the IRS that states we're qualified to be tax exempt. We'd have to pay $300 for the letter and, being small, we'd rather not do that if it's unnecessary. I've looked over the qualifications and have no doubt we're good. So does anyone know if we need to get the letter or what the advantages of getting it would be?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

BeanSmart.com is a site by and for consumers of financial services and advice. We are not affiliated with any of the banks, financial services or software manufacturers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.

Tax and financial advice you come across on this site is freely given by your peers and professionals on their own time and out of the kindness of their hearts. We can guarantee neither accuracy of such advice nor its applicability for your situation. Simply put, you are fully responsible for the results of using information from this site in real life situations.