U.S dividends

How can small dividends from U.S company shares be transferred to U.K without massive bank charges Thank E
Reply to

No. You chose to invest in a dollar paying investment. You can either bite the bullet and let your bank charge you a fee for converting the money to sterling or you could open an US dollar account with an American bank which charges no fees for acceptance of cheque or electronic credits.
Reply to
Eric Jones
Bitstring , from the wonderful person Eric Jones said
Some US companies will take back uncashed dividend cheques and 'roll them up' into one larger cheque, or at least that used to be an option, assuming you don't mind getting a payment only once in a blue moon.
Reply to
GSV Three Minds in a Can
In message , Eric Jones writes
You can find that you have US investments without intending to.
A few years ago, I bought 1000 pounds of shares in a British company, and received 4400 shares. This was restructured/merged with another British company, and my share holding in the new company dropped to something like 20, worth a total of 75 pounds.
This company was then restructured/merged with yet another British company. For my shareholding, I was paid off with 45 pounds but, for some reason, I was left with one single share. The company's shares are now only listed on the New York stock market, and my sole share is worth about 20 dollars.
So, I have unexpectedly landed up with a US dollar shareholding, the only benefit to me being that, twice per year, I receive a cheque for 1 British penny as a dividend. They also send me the annual company report (about 1" thick), and this goes straight into the recycle bin.
The question is, what on Earth can I do with a single US share? It's obviously not worth selling (even in the USA) as the charges would probably greatly exceed its value. Is there any way of donating it to charity?
Reply to
Ian Jackson

BeanSmart website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.