I'm having a problem with Peachtree 2004. We have it setup so that
it runs from two workstations and all the peachtree data is stored on
a file server on the LAN. We're in the process of replacing the file
server so I have copied all the peachtree data from the old server to
the new server.
The workstations have this network folder mapped as drive Z. When I
change the mapping of drive Z to point to the new server (which has an
exact copy of the data on the old server) and then I try to open the
company I get an error that says "This is not a valid Peachtree
company. Please try again."
If I put a new installation of peachtree 2004 on a third computer I
can open the company. So I uninstalled peachtree from one of the
other workstations, rebooted, and reinstalled peachtree 2004. Still
it says "this is not a valid Peachtree company, please try again."
Although it will open the old folder with no problem.
Can anyone help me? Please?
How are you getting the company onto the bad computer? Try making a PT
backup file on another computer and then do a restore into a NEW company on
the bad one. Your error message implies that you are missing a file on that
machine which is causing PT to not recognize the company.
Is this PT complete accounting or PT accounting? If it is complete if you
want, I could try opening the company file if you e-mail it to me at
soundbookkeeping at gmail dot com. Just zip all of the files in the company
folder if you don't have a working backup file (ptb).
I had this happen once with the same "This not a valid company" error when I
transfered a clients data to a new server. The version.txt file in the
copied data was blank. I looked at a backup and the version .txt file had
16.002 ( for PT complete 2006). Open the file named version.txt in the
company folder and see if there is a version number. I just added it to the
blank file and the comnpany opened right up. If it's blank, hopefully
someone with PT Complete 2004 can post it.
Thanks for the tip. I actually found this one on a web site somewhere
and I already checked. The version.txt file was copied over and it
does have the same numbers as the old data files. I want to try
creating a peach tree backup like Lara said and then restore the
backup to the new server and see if that makes any difference. The
problem is I need to get everyone out of the files in order to do the
backup so I may do that this weekend.